Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Facing our feelings

So many of us are afraid to feel. We fear we are weak if we cry.  In truth, not crying makes us weaker. In Shania Twain's program on the Oprah Winfrey network, she talks about not allowing herself to cry after her husband ran off to marry her best friend. She was so afraid to cry that her throat literally became choked up and she lost her ability to sing.

 Also, we fear we may lose our friends if we express any emotion other than happiness. So we play along, pretending to be someone we are not just to be accepted. In truth, we can never get close to people who don't allow themselves to be known. Many of us are so scared to feel that we are strangers even to ourselves. I was afraid to feel growing up because I was taught emotions are bad and must be swept under the rug. It wasn't until I was 19 years old that I began to acquaint myself with who I was emotionally.

 In society, we are told to feel ashamed of feeling. Women are mocked for being  "too emotional"; "shrinks" are for people who are "crazy" and that  talking about your feelings is for "sissies."  

No comments:

Post a Comment